Notice: Undefined variable: top_content in /home/communitieslgbtq/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ads-master/ads-master.php on line 96
Notice: Undefined variable: top_corner_content in /home/communitieslgbtq/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ads-master/ads-master.php on line 96
LGBTQ is an initialism that stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer, which started under the umbrella of Gay in the early 1970’s. By the late 1990’s the letter B and T was added for the transgender members of the community. The term gay community did not represented all those who were the part of the gay community. The term LGBT was used to refer to non-heterosexual or non-cisgender. The first students of Millenia recognized the inclusion of the letter Q in the early 1996. Q which is identified as queer or other who question their sexual identity. The letter Q is still not agreed with as people still see it as a term of hate.
To find the terms for a community, which is so diverse was a great task for the activists. Over the last fifty years or so the gay community became the ‘gay and lesbian community’ and then the ‘LGBT community’ and then ‘LGBTQ’ or ‘LGBTIQ’ and so on. One can’t memorize the list as the initialism and the terms keep on evolving. We should be respectful to the terms and use them correctly.
The meaning of the terms are as follows :
- L stands For Lesbian – A Lesbian is a female homosexual: a female who experiences romantic love or sexual attraction to other females.
- G stands for Gay – Gay is a term that primarily refers to a homosexual person or the trait of being homosexual. Gay is often used to describe homosexual males but lesbians may also be referred to as gay.
- B stands for Bisexual – Bisexuality is romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior toward both males and females, or romantic or sexual attraction to people of any sex or gender identity; this latter aspect is sometimes termed pan sexuality.
- T stands for Transgender – Transgender is an umbrella term for people whose gender identity differs from what is typically associated with the sex they were assigned at birth. It is sometimes abbreviated to trans.
- Q stands for Queer or Questioning – Queer is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities that are not heterosexual or cisgender. Queer was originally used pejoratively against those with same-sex desires but, beginning in the late-1980s; queer scholars and activists began to reclaim the word.